Friday, August 29, 2008

Gym and Class Time

Last weekend, Jeff finally gave in to me, and he got a gym membership. 24 hour fitness usually charges about 45 dollars a month for access to all of their gym facilities, plus a set up fee, plus a processing fee, plus first and last month's dues. So signing up for a membership can be pretty expensive (about 250 dollars!). But last weekend, when I went to the gym, there were signs plastering the walls that said "Add on a family member for $25 a month! No Hidden Fees" and so I looked into it. It was a one day only promotion, and so we signed Jeff up for only $25 a month, that's it! No processing fees or set up fees or anything like that.

I had kind of fallen away from the gym lately, choosing to focus on my distance running (I cannot run on a treadmill for more than 20 minutes, because my mind will turn to jello, I just can't focus) and biking...so this is giving me a good opportunity to fall in love with the gym again. There is so much to do there, it's like one big playground. We have been going late at night after dinner (about 9:30-ish) and there aren't many people there...so we kind of have the place all to ourselves. We don't have to compete for equipment...it's really nice!

On another note, this is the first week of my Micobiology lab and lecture. It is a really exciting class...I love it so far. Although it is about 5 hours, it doesn't feel like it. My professor is the biggest dork I have ever met, and that is what makes it so great! He is right there on my level. Last night, he presented a lecture about the father of microbiology, Anthony Van Leeuwenhoek...However my professor got a "guest speaker" to come in to present it (Himself in full seventeenth century costume, soundtrack and props, speaking with a dutch accent, pretending to be Van Leeuwenhoek). I really can't describe how funny it was. He hand wrote in cursive his hour long lecture on a bout 20 different scrolls (for authenticity). It was the most memorable lecture I ever listened too. I am sure there will be more experiences like this in his class! I actually took some pictures with my cell phone, but it doesn't capture the awesomeness of it, but you get the idea:





Next week I start at SDSU for my nutrition courses. I am really excited. I am enrolled in a surfing class right before one of my wednesday evening classes, but I am concerned about making it back to the campus form the beach on time, so I might end up droping that class. This seems like it will be a pretty fun semester! It will be hard, but rewarding too.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, your teacher need to give the professors at USU some instruction on how to make lectures memorable. I have never had a teacher do that....well there was this one time in Seminary (Church Education) in high school, where my teacher dressed up like one of the prophets and reinacted the how Joseph Smith got shot at Carthage Jail. It was highly entertaining! I think it was great that you took pictures! What are you majoring in?

HibshManda said...

I am majoring in Nutrition... Lot's of biology and chemistry! That is great that your seminary teacher dressed up like Joseph Smith. A friend at work told me that her high school history teacher would dress up like Abraham Lincoln and other presidents, and would only respond to you if you called him "Mr. President" haha!

Anne-Marie said...

that is so fun! you are SO busy! Good luck with everything! I miss school....kinda...ok maybe just a little :)

Mark and Renee Davis and Family said...

I wish more than anything that I was there for that lecture. That would have be hilarious. Now your ggoing to be swimming with the sharks at SDSU. It's a pretty hard school! Just kidding, you'll do great. miss you a ton!