Saturday, September 22, 2012

Project Baby Block

So, I mentioned in my most recent bumpwatch post that I am planning a baby shower for my friend Tracy. She was my running partner and moved to phoenix a year ago. She is due in december with her baby girl, Emma (which I love that name and there is a large chance that we name our daughter Emma too). 

I am hosting Tracy's San Diego Baby Shower next weekend. Instead of doing a lot of games, we decided to do craft. At my friend, Sydney's baby shower, (which I wasn't at but heard all about), they made baby blocks with scrapbook paper. Ever since I heard about it, I thought it was the cutest thing. It makes perfect nursery decorations! 

Tracy's nursery theme is going to be a mixture between "Its a Small World" and "Jungle." I found the perfect scrapbook paper while I was in Logan this past week, which looks like it might be more for a little boy, but is pretty gender neutral. I figured I could just add a little bit of pink and purple in there and it would be perfect!

So last night I started the project. It took forever to find 26 2" square wooden blocks. I had to drive out to Santee (not too far, only about 25 minutes away) to get an entire set of them!

I started by painting the blocks with acrylic paint. I had light pink, purple, yellow and green. 



That dried overnight (although it was actually dry within about 10 minutes), and so I decided to make a prototype block. 

I cut out my pieces of scrapbook paper, and then got white scrapbook stickers for the numbers and letters. Luckily, the scrapbook paper that I got had some little animals, banners and clouds to cover the other two sides. 

So I just put a Medium layer of modge podge down with a sponge-y paint brush, placed the scrapbook paper on top, and pressed it down. The other side of the paint brush really helped to stick the sides down. 



Then once that dried, I put another thin coat on the entire thing to seal it. I was pretty proud of myself because I didn't look up any tutorials or anything on pinterest. It turned out really cute!





3 comments:

Anna Dutson said...

Those are way cute! What a good idea for a baby shower :)

Katie said...

Fun! That will be awesome.

Tucsonan Villalpandos said...

They were the perfect craft! They are all set up in Emma's room! Thanks for all your hard work!