Sunday, April 12, 2009

Visit from the Kanes, Tippets, and Katie (or should I say, a visit from Sprint Store employees and their families)

We had such a fun weekend with Jeff's sister (Katie), her fiance (David) and his two sisters (Emily and Natalie). They did the Southwest Tour de Hibshman (going to Vegas and San Diego in one trip). They came in Friday evening and we went to go eat Afghan food in Hillcrest. We actually went to go to a Thai restaurant down there, but it was a little bit of a wait, and we were all starving, so we just went to the restaurant next door. It was actually really good! Really similar to Indian food...only different. After dinner, we did a drive around San Diego, and drove through balboa park, then walked around Balboa Park. We saw a large group of what appeared to be LARPers outside of the Model Train Museum. My personal philosophy is that they took a break from DND for the night and decided to do Live Action Role Playing as conductors of the mini trains...

Ok, well...moving on...

The next day Jeff and I took them to the suspension bridge in Bankers Hill (on Front and Spruce street). It was really fun. The bridge goes across this beautiful canyon, and because it is a suspension bridge, it moves from side to side. Pretty cool!

Since it was overcast and kind of cold (I swear, Katie brings it with her every time she comes to San Diego...then it goes away when she leaves...They left last night, and it is bright and sunny today... Hopefully it won't be like that on their honeymoon!)...so we couldn't go in the water at the beach. But we did go up to La Jolla and looked at the seals. We also rolled up our pants and hung around the shore a little bit. Because the waves in La Jolla break right on the shore though, we got pretty wet.

After the fun at the beach, we went down to Old Town and ate at the Old Town Mexican Cafe. It was really good. Katie and I played an awesome game of "push the sweet and low packet across the table" and I won. It got really intense there, and she almost defeated me, but in the end, I was able to get the packet to just the right place in the table. Victory was mine!

We also walked around and looked at Mexican wrestler masks, ate tamarind candy from Mexico, looked at soap, and walked through a "blown glass festival." I bought a keychain of a real crab (dead) in glass. It is really cool! Jeff and I named him Oz. Jeff said that was the first name he thought of when he looked at him, and I justified it by saying that my old boss at Marie Callender's was named Oz, and he had really big hands...kind of like a crab. It worked.

Then we went back home and took naps/watched the office. It was nice to rejuvenate. Then we went to the Baseball game.

I have never seen the Padres win (I don't think...) and it was awesome to see such a great game. Blanco hit 2 home runs! The kid next to me (must have been about 16 or so) kept beat boxing....seriously, it was almost the entire game. When there was silence, he was usually making out with his girlfriend. I only saw him do both at the same time once. We ate hot dogs, and drank $4.25 diet coke. Good times! The best part was when a fully clothed streaker jumped out on the field and sprinted across to the other side, and tried to climb a fence...but security chased after him. He got stuck on the fence and a person from the other side pushed him back over. It was so awesome. When he got escorted off the field, he got a standing ovation!

Then after the game we went back home, and everyone went back home (well, back to Vegas...then back to Utah/Idaho). Here are some pics from the trip:

Me and Katie in Jeff's car


Emily, Natalie, me and Katie all in Jeff's backseat (it was cuddly)

Me and Jeff at the suspension bridge

Everyone else at the suspension bridge

David and Katie


ready...

JUMP!

Seals

Jeff at the Beach

Katie and David

Katie and Jeff

Katie, me and Jeff

David and Katie climbing on the rocks

Catching a moment, awe...

At the Padres Game...it was cold but we were prepared!


Good times!!!!

Earlier in the week, we had Jeff's cousin (Melissa) and her husband (John) over for dinner. It was fun having them over, and getting to know them better. Every time we see each other, it is always at big family gatherings...so it was good to hang out with just them! Melissa is so funny too. It was really fun We made pollo asada, guacamole and mexican rice, which was really good!

Now that all the excitement of the week is over, it gives Jeff and I a day to relax (and do school work) before the same old grind starts tomorrow!

(p.s. I totally don't proof read these, so please forgive any hard to understand sentances or mis-spelled words...MOM! :-)

6 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

That is so fun! I'm glad one of the stops on the southwest Hibshman tours can be fun. We have yet to show them a really good time :). Can't wait to come see you ourselves!

Anna Dutson said...

LARPERS! Lucky, I've always wanted to see them in action! I have fun and laugh my head off when Phil talks about them, but to actually see them, that's too great! We told Katie and David about them last time they were over, so I'm glad they saw them in action, and that we weren't just making them up.

That' so cool that you had all those fun visitors. Maybe we'll make a southwest Hibshman tour one of these days.

Katie said...

Oh man, you are just making me miss it and want to come back! That was SO much fun!

Melissa said...

I LOVE the title of this post, it makes me laugh! I was totally mad because we didn't get any pictures of us together at your house! Oh well, it means we will have to come down again and get some! haha! I am amazed you got so much fun jam-packed into 2 days with Katie and Dave! I guess it proves it can be done!
I forgot to tell you guys but when we visited La Jolla I totally bashed my leg when I tried to jump over the rocks to see this tide-pool thing...and fell into this puddle of water! I was reminded of it after I saw your pictures at La Jolla! That wasn't my best memorey of the trip though.
Once again, thanks for dinner it was sooo yummy!

Melissa said...

Also I meant to tell you that I think I figured out that Guacamole recipe at church on Sunday! ;)

Terri James said...

You and Jeff are so cute! Love the pictures. Hope to see you when Katie gets married!