Since this was my first trip to South Dakota, I wanted to make sure we snuck in a couple touristy things while we were up there. We got to spend a lot of time at Wall Drug, playing around and taking pictures:

The jackalope, my childhood obsession...

At the waterbench...

T-Rex

We spent a lot of time at Sarah's salon, The Polished Pinky. I tell ya, if she had the same salon, but in San Diego, I would go to it...It felt so nice and home-y.

Harper getting her nails done:

We also drove through the Badlands and ate Indian Tacos...

However, the climax of the trip came Saturday evening, when we celebrated Jeff and Sarah's 31st birthday. They haven't been together on their birthday for about 13 years, so Craig and I wanted to make it special. A week or so before our trip, he e-mailed me and said that he ordered a banner and a cake - he wanted to make this the cheesiest birthday ever. So I decided that noting is cheesier than shirts with pictures on them, so I make a couple for us to wear:

Jeff and Sarah's shirts say "Together since the womb" with a baby picture of them on it, and mine and Craig's say "Look who's 31 today!" with silly pictures of Jeff and Sarah on them. They turned out excellent...


On Sunday, we played tourist and went to Mount Rushmore. I am usually very disappointed when I finally get to see national landmarks. They always seem so much smaller than expected. However, I thought that Mount Rushmore was VERY cool! I really liked it. I was very impressed.

That evening, we went to Deadwood, played a couple penny slots and ate at Kevin Costner's restaurant. It was really neat being in Deadwood...One of my favorite movies growing up was "Calamity Jane" staring Doris Day, which is set in Deadwood. Infact, this picture was taken outside of the saloon that Wild Bill Hickok got killed at.

I actually have come to realize that I can sing a musical song about almost anything. When we were in Iowa visiting Jon and Anne Marie, I kept singing "De Butte, Des Moines, Davenport, Marshall Town, Mason City, Keokook, Ames, CLEARLAKE! Got to give Iowa, a try!" ... And now in South Dakota, I can't stop singing "Take me back to the black hills...the black hills of Dakota." (nerd alert!)
Anyway, it was a really good trip, wish we could go and travel to see family more!


6 comments:
Looks like a ton of fun! I love all the birthday stuff you did for them! So much fun!
That looks like the funnest trip ever!
The birthday party shirts were awesome.
Glad you guys had so much fun.
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your trip to South Dakota. I have to admit I'm a little jealous, it sounds like it was a lot of fun! I love your pictures too. You'll have to come visit our state again!
Kayleen
SD Office of Tourism
www.travelsd.com
That looks like SO much fun! It's always cool to go see them, it seems like there is so much to do. The shirts were AWE-some!
Love the shirts! Looks like a nice vacation. It's too bad that Jeff's twin lives so far away. If they lived closer they could wear their cool matching shirts more often:)
Looks like you guys had a blast! I also think that great minds think alike! For my dad's 50th, everyone had a different shirt with really mean "50" sayings on them... Hope to see you guys sometime soon. I'm glad you liked your temple pic! thanks again for helping me!
Terri
Post a Comment