I really do love Halloween. I have such fond memories of dressing up through the years and going trick or treating. I also love pumpkin and halloween candy! I also love scary movies and going to haunted houses. I get it from my mom, who sparked an interest in me at an early age about mass murderers, and brother, who forced me to watch horror movies with him my whole life. I also love scary TV shows, like American Horror Story.
Lately, I have been listening to a podcast where they do top five lists of different subjects, which got me thinking of my top five halloween movies. In no particular order, I would have to say:
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1, 2 and 3...although the original is definitely the best). - This is probably my number one horror film of all time. My brother and I would watch it when I was really (inappropriately) young, and although it scared the heck out of me, I kind of loved it. Freddy Kreuger is just a really funny villain. He is definitely my all-time favorite villain. In fact, I think I might dress my child up as Freddy Kreuger for their first Halloween. Yes, even if its a girl (think green and red striped sweater with a little tutu and dingy hat...awe, so cute!). I remember when my brother and mom went up to meet Freddy Kreuger. I think I was about 5 and my brother must have been about 9. My mom's friend was working on one of the Nightmare movies and did Robert Englund's hair and make-up (Robert Englund = Freddy). Apparently he was a really cool guy and talked to my brother about skateboarding, the whole time while in his full Freddy ensemble. Pretty cool. I wish I was there.
- Halloween - Michael Meyers is definitely one of the scariest horror villains. I get super creeped out by that movie. I still to this day will imagine Michael Meyers standing there in his creepy mask, just staring at me. It always gives me the heebie geebies.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre - This one is just really fun to watch with my brother. It is our classic Thanksgiving movie. We would always have Thanksgiving at my grandparents house, and after we ate, my brother and I would go upstairs and veg and watch a movie. This was back in the VHS days, and my grandma didn't have an extensive collection, so my brother would always go pick out the movie...and always pick out The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And of course, we would always make commentary, because it is a little cheesy.
- The Shinning - Super creepy. Love Jack Nicholson, especially in that time frame. I also loved The Simpsons episode of Treehouse of Terror where they made fun of it and did "The Shinnin'" with Groundskeeper Willie. Such a great movie. I really want to read the book, and my mom has been trying to get book club to read it, but it has been a no-go so far.
- Psycho - This is just a classic Hitchcock movie that I have always been intrigued with. Like many people, I would lock the bathroom door for years after I first saw the movie.
Honorable mentions: The Ring (scared me SO BAD after I saw it) and Killer Clowns from Outer Space (Hilarious)
Now, I married a man who (I love very much but) does not share my love for the horror genre. Last night, I asked him "Do you want to watch a scary movie??? (oooooohhh....aaaaaahhhh **Scary sound effect*)" and he says to me point blank "no"(and honestly...his bluntness amuses me!) So we ended up watching 127 hours on HBO, and I said to him, "ok, but we have to watch at least up until he cuts his arm off." Apparently you just can't tame my morbid side...
Ironically, my dad also hates scary movies and scary things.
Anyway , we also don't really do much on Halloween...Which is really fine with me. I have no desire to go out down town, or really go to a party, or do anything other than hang out, pass out candy to trick-or-treaters, eat something with pumpkin in it, carve pumpkins, roast pumpkin seeds, and watch something halloween related on TV. However, another thing I have loved doing since a very young age is play dress up. One time, I went over to a friends house dressed as Peter Pan. Full outfit. I think I even tucked my hair into the cap so I looked like a boy. So, dressing up for halloween always seems necessary. I have to admit that over the past couple years, I have had some pretty lame costumes, and this year is no exception. I have definitely been pulling the "last minute/what do I have in my closet/DIY" costume over the past couple years. This year, We had a halloween party at work, with a potluck and costume contest. I had planned on wearing a white shirt and writing NaCl on it and calling myself table salt...but that was almost too lame for even me. So...I scoured the internet for inspiration, and came across my favorite unimpressed gymnast from the 2012 London Olympics:
Doesn't she look so happy to have won the silver medal???
Anyway, I thought it would be the perfect outfit, because I could wear pants with a stretchy waist band, and tennis shoes and be comfy all day...so...
I tried getting my hair up as high as possible, but man...that hurts! I ended up taking my hair down around 10:30 this morning because my head hurt so much from being pulled up.
Here is a sampling of the rest of the office:
Top Row L-R: Sara as a Spider Mama, Nicole as a Deviled Egg, Rachael as Mary Katherine Gallagher, Ilana as a soccer girl
Bottom Row: Erica as "Happy Hour", Kristy as pumpkin pi, Chloe as half of the $1.50 combo at Costco (she is coke, her boyfriend is a hot dog), and me as McKayla Maroney.
We also had a delicious pot luck that got me so ridiculously full, it kind of hurt:

.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment